Friday, January 11, 2013

Beauty: Get perfect skin with turmeric! (Curcur scrub)





People see my wedding photos and say, “Wow! Your skin was so fresh then, what happened now?” At that point, I’d be like “Dude, haven’t you heard of photoshop?” But no matter how much credit I give makeup and photoshop, I know there’s one component that deserves some praise as well, and that is the turmeric scrub, aka Curcur.



I first came across the turmeric facial during the “gyaran jiki” phase of my wedding prep. For my non-Hausa friends, “Gyaran Jiki” literally means “fixing the body” and in the context of a wedding, its a series of body treatments the bride has to go through so she can look super glamourous during her wedding. I know what you’re thinking, and no, I’m not talking about bridalplasty. This is more like body scrubs, perfumes and other edible stuff which I won’t go into right now. So we pretty much do gyaran jiki to look (and smell) good. I used this scrub every morning for 3 weeks prior to the wedding.

Since returning to Naija I have noticed it is fast becoming very common practice among Hausa people, even though we borrowed it from the Kanuri people, who borrowed it from Sudanese people, who may have been influenced by Indians. Suffice to say, it may be borrowed but its here to stay cos its pretty damn good!



I hated it at first. Why? Cos I was FORCED to get it done before my wedding. FORCED! Against my will! By my Mum! So I had to hate it at first, just to spite her :) :) but I eventually gave in.

I was skeptical for 2 reasons.

How can a spice that I add in to curry magically transform my skin? What is the evidence base for this practice? Is it on PubMed?
Even if it works, why should I do it? I like my skin just the way it is. I mean, sure the Australian sun might have battered it a little, but its nothing my St. Ives lotion and SPF 30 can’t fix. I don’t want to be one of those brides that have beautiful dark skin and then suddenly go all li’l Kim at their wedding!

Anyhow I was wrong, turmeric doesn’t bleach the skin (thankfully!) but when used regularly, it does give soft, acne-free skin and a yellow undertone that gives the illusion of a glow and then gradually fades out after a few weeks. Kinda like what henna does with red, although unlike henna, turmeric isn’t as pigmented and in most people, you don’t really see a difference in skin colour, only soft and luminous skin.

After suffering in Ibadan, I realised my skin was in a dire SOS mode so why not recreate it? Only this time I wasn’t going to buy the premixed scrub, but make it myself. I twisted the arm of my aunt who makes these for a living and she let me in on the formula for the Curcur scrub. It’s easy and most of the stuff you already have at home!  


Here’s what I used



The quantities can vary according to your needs. If your skin is too dry, add more oats! If you are fast tracking like me, add extra turmeric. Just make sure you don’t put too much lemon/lime juice cos its acidic.

Main Ingredients
Turmeric - 2 tablespoons
Honey - 2 tablespoons
Yeast - 1 tablespoon
Lemon or lime juice 1 tablespoon


Optional 
Oats - 2 tablespoons
Humrah - a dash (Traditional perfume, I used pineapple flavour)
Lotion - enough amount to last me a week.
Plain flour - if consistency is too runny, add flour, one teaspoon at a time to make a thick paste.



Extras
Mixing bowl and spoon
Deep pore cleanser 
Sunscreen
Perfume

Here’s what to do


  1. Pour all the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix them
  2. Then pour the lemon juice and honey and mix to a paste
  3. Add lotion to your desired quantity, make sure you add just enough and not too much otherwise your scrub will be runny.
  4. Add a dash of non irritating perfume (humrah, cologne, eau de toilette or body mist) to the scrub (optional)
  5. If your paste is too runny, you can add plain flour, one teaspoon at a time and mix thoroughly till you get the desired consistency.
You’re ready to use!



How to use it on the face


  1. First, I make sure I’ve washed my face thoroughly with warm water 
  2. Then I smear small amounts of the scrub to my face and work it in firm circular motions until every surface is covered.
  3. I wait 30 minutes or until the scrub dries and then I rub it off in firm circular motions to get an exfoliating effect.
  4. When its all off, I wash it off. First with water and then with a nice deep pore cleanser.




How to use on the whole body

  1. Take a shower to wash the body thoroughly then blot with a towel and make sure you’ve dried completely.
  2. Stake out an area where you’ll stay and cover the floor with old newspapers or plastic sheets or just go to a tiled area that can be cleaned easily.
  3. Wear no clothes! Just tie an old towel, or an old wrapper or just laze around in the buff. Whatever you choose, don’t wear clothes or they might get stained. 
  4. Work small amounts of the scrub all over the body surface in circular motions until everywhere is covered. You can ask someone to help you with the hard to reach areas.
  5. Leave the scrub on for about 30 minutes or until its completely dry. It may start crumbling off when its dry, so its best to remain within the news-papered area.
  6. When dry, go to a bath tub or shower. Start rubbing off the scrub in circles. This will have an exfoliating effect.
  7. When its all off, have a shower with warm water and use a sponge to wash off any left over scrub.
  8. Use humrah or a perfumed lotion all over body to mask any odours that may linger.
That's it! I usually avoid the sun when I'm using this scrub but when i have to go out, I use sunscreen SPF 30. Enjoy fresh blemish-free skin! Thank me later :)



64 comments:

  1. Thanks Amarya, this makes so much sense. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eya! I hope it works out for you. I love your recipes!

      Delete
  2. Pls what is the local name for tumeric, I've asked around and can't seem to find anyone who knows what it is, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local name is Kurkum. You'll find it anywhere where spices are being sold. Especially in local markets. You may also find imported brands.

      Delete
  3. Hello nefertity. Which city do you live in? If you're in abuja you can find it in the big deparment stores (spar, shoprite, park n shop, amigo) the local hausa name is curcur or sometimes kurkum. Good luch finding it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pls ummi where can I get humrah pls nd am I to add the humarah to the paste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you can skip the hurrah step, it's not compulsory. It only gives a nice fragrance and nothing more. You can use any body mist you like or skip altogether, no problem.

      Delete
  5. hello ummi is it adviceable to use often ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use it often. The only caution I have is because of the lime content. Lime can irritate skin if used in high concentrations. It can also make the skin sensitive to the sun (tingling under sunlight). I recommend using it for 2-3 weeks at a time then taking a break for a month before repeating.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really works v tried it before then I stopped but will continue nw. Sanni da aiki ummi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yauwa. Thanks soppy! Thanks for dropping by. A'i curcum is my skins lifesaver. I think it's the the best facial scrub. Though I'm also lazy when it comes to doing it regularly.

      Delete
  8. Hi there Ummi...pls can u tell me the difference between dilke and kurkum and can they both be used togeda? Nagode :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nakom! Thanks for dropping by.

      Kurkum is made from turmeric paste and it's a skin brightening scrub that enhances the skin tone, reduces blemishes and prevents acne.

      While dilke is a woody scrub that's used as an exfoliant which scrubs away dead skin cells from the surface and cleans the new layer of skin giving soft looking skin.

      Yes, you can use these two scrubs together. What I do is I do dilke in the morning then use Kurkum at night since Kurkum can make your skin sensitive to the sun. Hope this was helpful.

      Delete
  9. Hello Ummi,Your explanation is so simple and straight forward, Can you please tell me where I can get Dilke in Abuja? Can I get it at those spice sellers in the market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pint size! Sorry for the late response. You can get dilke from the people that sell Turaren wuta in abuja. You'll find some at wuse market or trade fairs. There are some spas in abuja that sell them but they are ridiculously overpriced.

      If you're still having trouble, send me an email. Ummithrowsahissyfit gmail.com

      Delete
  10. HELLO Ummi, thanks for all the tips...please where can i get Turmeric powder in Abuja?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi unknown! You can find turmeric at supermarkets (Shoprite, park n shop & next) :)

      Delete
  11. hello ummi,please what's tumeric called in hausa.
    ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's called kurkur or kurkum

      Delete
    2. pls what is dilke in English

      Bunmi

      Delete
    3. Hi Bunmi. Dislike doesn't have an English name. But it is made out of sandalwood chips, and some oils. I'm working on a blog post that details the process but it's taking a lot of research. Do stay tuned. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Hello ummi, I recently got a tumeric grounded spice for food at a supermarket, can I also use it on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, it's perfectly fine to use on your face.

      Delete
  13. If you are using this for skin care, have in mind that some people are allergic to turmeric.
    First find out
    if you are allergic to it. Rub a small
    amount on the inside of your elbow and
    leave it there for a few hours. If you
    develop a rash, then do not use turmeric. If
    you don’t you’re good to go. And if you are using it health wise.
    It is advisable to avoid turmeric as long as
    you are nursing your new-born since it is
    uncertain what effect turmeric can have on
    the baby. Thank you ma

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are using this for skin care, have in mind that some people are allergic to turmeric.
    First find out
    if you are allergic to it. Rub a small
    amount on the inside of your elbow and
    leave it there for a few hours. If you
    develop a rash, then do not use turmeric. If
    you don’t you’re good to go. And if you are using it health wise.
    It is advisable to avoid turmeric as long as
    you are nursing your new-born since it is
    uncertain what effect turmeric can have on
    the baby. Thank you ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips on allergies, Gaffa. However, from my experience turmeric is perfectly safe in babies. I used it while pregnant and after the birth of my daughters with no issues. In my culture, nursing mothers have been using it for decades if not centuries to make their skin fresh after childbirth. Remember that turmeric is also a food substance and is ingested by billions around the world daily. It is also a key ingredient in curry powder, which we use daily with no problem. It is used in pharmaceuticals as an anti inflammatory agent for joint pains. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry I meant daughter. Only one. Lol

      Delete
  15. Tumeric is a natural substance and as a doctor of more than 15 years, am surprised to hear that tumeric affects babies.
    I have practiced as a gynaecologist for over 5 years in the u.k before returning to Nigeria.I do agree with you on the rash been formed for those allergic to tumeric.However,beauty treatments which involve dukhan and dilka are done 40 days after child birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! Thanks for your input! I agree with you. It is very safe and given the extent of its use, I'm sure if they were harmful effects they would've been well known by now.

      Delete
  16. Hi Ummi, your blog is very informative, thank you. Please do you by any chance know the English names for Jawi, Luban, Musk/Missic & Kanapari?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello belladonna! Thanks for dropping by! Hope you keep coming by my little blog.

      The English name for Luban is frankincense, musk is musk in English too, kananfari is clove. Sorry I don't know Jawi.

      May I ask what you're using them for? Cos it seems we may be researching the same thing. Lol. If you want privacy you can email me on ummithrowsahissyfit at gmail.com. T

      Delete
  17. Hello Ummi, thanx for the great tips on the use of turmeric as body scrub. I have only used it in food muself. I do however sell turmeric both the root and the powder form. Pls let me know if you or ur clients need any supplies. You can email me at beelicious2u@gmail.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, beelicious l wil lik 2 ve both d roots n d powder ones. Pls hw can i get it.

      Delete
    2. Hi, beelicious l wil lik 2 ve both d roots n d powder ones. Pls hw can i get it.

      Delete
  18. Hello Ummi, thanx for the great tips on the use of turmeric as body scrub. I have only used it in food muself. I do however sell turmeric both the root and the powder form. Pls let me know if you or ur clients need any supplies. You can email me at beelicious2u@gmail.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, beelicious i wl lik 2 ve both d root n d powder ones. So plz hw can i get it. Tnx.

      Delete
    2. Hi, beelicious i wl lik 2 ve both d root n d powder ones. So plz hw can i get it. Tnx.

      Delete
  19. Thanx for the recipe,i going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Hun,

      Will be sharing my updated recipe soon.

      Xoxo

      Delete
  20. Hi Ummi
    Tnx for the turmeric scrub recipe... And the Hausa name "curcur"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ummi. Can I mix tumeric powder with black soap? Will it give same effect?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Unmi,am dark in complexion,got dis problem with skin pigmentation on my forehead,wen I sweat u see it like rashes,wen d weather is cool u don't see it but when dere is heat it comes out like rashes on my forehead,
    Can I try tumeric powder or do u have somfhin better for me?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Ummi!what kind of pineapple flavour did you use?is it fruit? Or what?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tnx for d tips Ummi. I'll try it

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi ummi, tnx 4 dis post. But hw can i get tumeric here in anambra state pricisly at nnewi.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do u have skin blemishes such as acne/pimples,discoloration,age spots,bleached skin,eczema,dark circles,white patches.Also contact for ya beauty packs.Lightening pack,extra lightening pack,herbal soap for lightening,dark skin tone,scrubs for all lightening,dark tones,body oils.We use the best stuff for client.Whatapp:09054633095.We do delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  27. hy ummi please can tumeric be use for face burn

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Ummi, thanks for this info, Allah ya SAA alkhairi but pls can u help with preparation of dilke, my lil sis is getting married soon and has a bad skin, she has three more weeks, she doesn't like the scent of the turmeric so we ruled it out, pls help us with the dilke, will be most gratefull

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Ummi, thanks for this info, Allah ya SAA alkhairi but pls can u help with preparation of dilke, my lil sis is getting married soon and has a bad skin, she has three more weeks, she doesn't like the scent of the turmeric so we ruled it out, pls help us with the dilke, will be most gratefull

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you sooo much Ummi, am about getting married myself when I just stumbled on your blog. Will start the kurkum soonest. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What is the hausa name for sandalwood and dilka

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pls, what is the Hausa name for Gram flour or chickpea flour. It's urgent ,pls.

    ReplyDelete
  33. very helpful skin care tip ... God bless u for me🙏🏾

    ReplyDelete
  34. I want to testify to everyone on how my husband and i got children after our 5 years of marriage. we got married and we could not conceive a child we have been to several hospitals for checking and the doctors always say that we are okay that nothing is wrong with us, we have been hoping for a child, my husband was beginning to keep late night outside and pressure from the family for him to marry another wife and divorce me, i was always crying and weeping because i was loosing my marriage. so i visited my friend in Florida and she told me that she also have been through this same situation but she got her help of getting pregnant from a Herbal Doctor of fertility,, so she told me that she will connect me to the Herbal Doctor and he will prepare a FERTILITY HERBAL SOAP for me to have my own child, i spent 4days with her in Florida and we both email the Herbal Doctor and he said i should bring all my information to him and he said in 3days the Fertility soap will be prepared and he will send/ship it to me through UPS, after I used it as he instructed, so i waited and i went back made love with my husband and i conceive. so i am very grateful to the Herbal Doctor for his help and miracle that help me save my marriage. please for same help getting pregnant, contact him on zicoherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing this blog. Get the best quality cosmetics and beauty products online from Rr lux online store for makeup products. You can buy skin care products online like matte liquid foundation, turmeric body scrub online, pressed highlighter powder etc. We have a special offer on these products.

    Turmeric And Aloe Facial Skin Care Set

    Kiki Kinky Curly Unit

    Buy makeup brushes online

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing this blog post. If you want to buy skin care products online  so at RR Lux gives you best service and products like Matte Liquid Foundation, Pressed Highlighter Powder, Best hair wigs for women etc. Here you can get best offers & discount.

    Hold and shine hair Mousse

    Turmeric And Aloe Facial Skin Care Set

    Buy hair wigs online

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for sharing this blog.    At RR LUX, it is provide best offers on beauty products like Pressed Highlighter Powder, Best hair wigs for women, Turmeric body scrub online etc. If you want to buy any beauty products visit our website.

    Matte Liquid Foundation

    Hold and shine hair Mousse

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for sharing this blog. If you looking for Turmeric body scrub online, At RR LUX, we strive to always delivery high end Quality products and superb customer services. We can gives you feeling comfortable and satisfaction guarantee with our products.

    Pressed Highlighter Powder

    Kiki Kinky Curly Unit

    Hold and shine hair Mousse

    Buy hair wigs online

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi ummi what called oat in hausa

    ReplyDelete
  40. After 7yrs in marriage trying to conceive and fibroid was getting over my life. In the end it's my greatest joy, after the help of Dr Agumba I fell pregnant. I'm recommending everyone out here who is trying to get pregnant no matter the conditions that delay your pregnancy, either physical or spiritual problems holding your womb. you should also contact Dr Agumba there will be a greater testimony for you. > email or whatsapp call... dragumbasolutioncenter@gmail.com +2349032173881 .

    ReplyDelete